Press releases are an integral part of communication and were originally designed as a communication tool between company PR professionals and the media. But with surplus on-line news sites and an abundance of press release content and RSS, it has become easy to syndicate news. Besides being an effective tool for distributing content to the media and consumers, they can also be easily syndicated to provide excellent opportunity for attracting incoming links.
In this context, using progressive wire services like business wire, PR news wire, web and market wire simplify the process of getting news content into the popular news search engines. Considering the opportunity news search offers, many company marketers follow certain guidelines to maximize visibility of press releases. Such strategies are bound to ensure more inbound links and higher web traffic. The guidelines are as follows :
01) Press releases should center on something worth announcing. Boring or stale news gets very little exposure or web traffic in spite of being well optimized. It is important to focus on specific topics and avoid too much details or using too many keywords. Such techniques tend to dilute the message for both the news search engines and their readers.
02) The press releases are optimized through web page optimization techniques. This is possible keeping in mind the importance of keywords which should be placed on top of the document and at the beginning of the body content.
03) It is advisable to distribute press releases via wire services like business wire, PR web or news wire. If the same content is distributed through multiple wire services on the same day, it is extremely likely that the news search engine would filter out with duplicates. If the story has diverse twists and angles, it is preferable to mix the topics.
04) The reader should be sufficiently interested to “click-through” the content. It should also be able to trigger the reader to take action. Some examples include special offers, webinars, free trials, podcasts and reports, etc.
05) Creating an impressive landing page would convert the web visitors to prospective buyers. Besides providing the reader with a reason to “click-through” the destination of the link, it should be designed to bring the visitor further along the sales cycle for achieving the desired outcome.
06) Assembling a list of media contacts for the press release and e-mailing the release along with the concise summary of the product.
07) The press content should be relevant and simple for journalists and bloggers to comprehend the news. This facility ensures that research bloggers could write about the topic as well as summarize the press release.
08) Posting the release in the company media room facilitates targeting interested parties including journalists to subscribe to organizational news.
09) Writing a blog post version of the news and submitting the same to social media sites where the content resonates with the culture of social media network that one intends to promote.
10) Using social bookmark sites as a clipping service since these services could be linked to from on-line media rooms and are periodically crawled by search engines.
Once the press release has been distributed, it is important to track its effectiveness. Tracking press release is possible via :
- Embedded tracking codes in the links.
- Monitoring web analytics of the site.
- Setting up of Google alters.
- Monitoring blog search engines.
- Monitoring standard search engines.
- Tracking conversions.