There has been a drastic change in the way businesses are run and promoted with the advent of the Internet. The extensive usage of the Internet has considerably narrowed the gulf between big and small businesses. Small business owners in increasing magnitude are using these powers of the Internet to bring their businesses out into the open. One of the most significant and powerful tools used for this purpose is the business blog. It gives the business brand awareness and credibility which is at par with that what big corporate businesses enjoy. However this can only happen when the website owner creates a blog for business and uses it the right way. Setting up a blog is quite simple but it is the adept handling of the blog that makes all the difference between a successful business blog and just another entry in the blogosphere.
Some valuable tips have been outlined here for small business blogs in order to make them an extremely valuable promotional asset :
- Create a Social Network – Creating a social network with a blog, forums and overall interactive community for free. Such sites provide an interactive platform for general users and business honchos. The whole procedure is easy and simple to use.
- E-mail Marketing – Through this technique the website owner can interact with the loyal blog subscribers. This service also permits sending out survey to the targeted audience.
- Selecting the right name – The website owner has to ensure that the name of the blog speaks about the product explicitly. Utilizing the brand name often works well but only if people are able to recognize the brand. If the brand name is not popular or reputed, there is a good chance that the blog would not rank well in search engines. In this context finding a blog name that reflects the business activities and their range of products would be more effective than mere company name.
- RSS Feed – Technically Simple Syndication is the feed evolving from blogs that is sent out over the internet, and collected through the diverse newsreaders and aggregators. When a company is contemplating establishment of business blogging programs, various options are provided by the hosting companies. Free blog hosting services are popular but their utility is rather limited and confined to individual online journals. Paid blog hosting services offer unlimited packages and are more suited to a company’s needs. It is advisable to check out some blogs that use the host, read and examine the layout and design. It is also important to consider a reliable technical support for the host. After, selecting the blog host, a professional team conceptualizes the plan, design and structure of the blog.
- Develop Link in the blog – Many novice business owners maintain their blogs as a standalone tool for their product promotion. This actually does not prove to be effective especially if the product is not well known in the market. The more appropriate thing to do is to put a link for the blog on the website itself. Also, visiting other blogs and requesting them to be linked to theirs indicates actual sharing of traffic.
- Attracting Affiliate Program Links – A professional business blog is distinguished by the presence of affiliate links. However, random affiliate ads may be catastrophic, too. In this context, it is suggested to go for a minimum amount of affiliate program links on the blog. They add revenue to the site whenever someone clicks on them to buy the product. They also help in ranking the page higher in search engines.
- Using video on blogs – Previously people believed that using videos on blogs was not productive since they made the blog page load slowly. However today, customers expect a video to explain the product in detail. In addition, technology has advanced and computers are quite fast which ensures that the loading times are no longer a problem at all.