It is always advisable to ensure that a website ranks well in local area searches. This suggests that people are no more looking for “widgets” rather they are trying to find “widgets” and “my town” in order to narrow their searches to the immediate vicinity or neighborhood. This trend has developed since people want to know whom they are dealing with on-line. They are normally interested in visiting the on-line store which is in the immediate locality to enable them to contact the outlet if necessary. Nowadays people are realizing the importance of community and are more interested in giving business to local merchants. In this connection, it is recommended to contemplate the following considerations when adding sites to the directories on the web :
01) Yahoo search engine excels when it comes to adding community in local search. They combine the Yahoo 360 social networks with the local listings. The results are extremely helpful for people wishing to find information relating to their own area. An example being during the selection of a shop, normally all the consumer generated recommendations are observed. In the event of the recommendation coming from a known contact, a star is placed next to the recommendation. In this manner, not only the other consumers’ opinions are known but also about the people from whom the recommendations are coming.
02) Mobile – It is suggested that sufficient attention should be paid to mobile search market. With hand-held device with the latest models of mobile, people can search for the nearest entertainment centers.
03) Press Releases – Taking the help of Press Releases gives a boost to local businesses when doing something new and exciting on-line or off-line.
04) Local City Searches – City search is a great source of local information for sites such as MSN, Ask.com and many others.
05) Contact Information – Those websites which have addresses and phone numbers within the address tag on the contact page or any other page, specifically on the home page, is known to be more effective. It is recommended that the best practice would be to have the address on all pages of the site. Such type of information builds the trust rank value of the site, too.
It is also advised by experts to see that the site matches the guidelines of local relevant directories. Submission of organizational listings to the top directories like the Yahoo Pages and Local Search Engines such as Google Local Business Center and Ask Business Search brings in enhanced web traffic in the form of queries. Setting the geographic location in Google Webmaster Tools could help in diverting good customers who are located in the immediate locality. If such customers cannot find the website in the local listings, they might never know the presence of the organization or its products / services that are available right at their door step.
Interesting information that can be gauged from local search algorithms rates to Meta data like URL referrals and Re-Tweets counts. Primary data available exposes images and blog contents / Tweets. Other interesting aspects of local search include :
- People Re-Tweeting on the individual links / comments.
- Trustworthy people sharing and exchanging links or Tweets.
- Exposes whether the activity around the topic is escalating or going down.
Normally businesses in local search claim that their profile would be more visible and more competitive in the long run.