Staff Writer: Max Smith
Products of mass media are all around us. Every day, we are constantly bombarded with information and other stuffs from newspapers, radios, television and the internet. Indeed, the effects of mass media are truly present and strong. It is hard to get away from the influence of mass media tools if we use them in almost every human activity.
Mass Media Defined
Mass media refers to the collection of tools and processes involved in communicating to a large group or audience. Mass media is essentially geared to relate to the masses or the general public. The term is broad and encompasses all products and practices done to share information with a big group.
Mass media Types
The traditional classification of mass media is the print and broadcast category. Print media includes all media products that are produced in written form. This includes newspapers, books and magazines. Print media is produced to be read. On the other hand, broadcast media refers to all mass media products that are not in written form. Radio and television fall under the broadcast media category. However, the introduction of technology changed mass media drastically. In addition, this two media category, online media or internet media was also added.
The term online media refers to a broad collection of tools and processes of mass media that are highly internet based. Communication through online methods has been made possible with the sophisticated media tools offered by a computer. Online media forms may include web pages, blogs, chat rooms, internet advertisements and others.
Uses of mass media
Mass media, as a tool of communication to a large audience is undeniably useful. Some of the uses of mass media are:
- Information dissemination – Mass media has the ability to reach out to a big number of people. This makes mass media an important tool for information dissemination. Through these media outlets, information transferring and sharing is made possible. News and other updates from distant locations are also made possible through the advances in media and technology. Information exchange and transfer is made fast and convenient through the products of mass media.
- Influence the thinking and behaviour of people – Mass media could be used as an effective method to affect people’s thoughts and actions. This feature of mass media is maximized by business promotions. Businesses launch a huge mass media promotions campaign because they realize its potential in influencing the mind state of people. This function of mass media is also maximized in advocacy crusades, election campaigns and other activities that aim to affect people or urge them to act in a certain manner. Notice how radio, television and newspaper advertisements boost the sales of a certain product. The unique position of influence of these media forms is truly evident in our midst.
- Entertainment and leisure – Mass media tools are also used to provide entertainment and leisure. Radio, television, the internet and other media forms are used as a source of fun and relaxation. Radio shows provide music and other programs that can soothe your stress. The television offers numerous programs to make you cry or laugh and take you on emotional rides. The internet offers various forms of activities that will definitely keep you busy and entertained.
- A way to reach out to other people – Mass media serves as a way to connect to people especially those from the remote or different location. Without the aid of mass media, reaching out and influencing a big number of people would be hard, if not impossible. Media forms such as the internet and mobile phone all aim to make connections between people easier.
What are the services of mass media?
Mass media services include several strategies that made the use of media more effective.
- Content editing – This refers to a media service that ensures proper flow of thought in any media form. Content is one of the most important aspects in any media category. A specific media tool can only perform its desired purpose when its content is clear and delivered in the most proper way.
- Audio editing – When a mass media method uses auditory tools, it must be clear and well modulated to be fully appreciated. Audio editing makes mass media tools that are audio based to be fully effective.
- Video editing – Video editing is a very useful type of media service. If videos are to be used, they must be properly sequenced and screened to truly suit its target audience and achieve its desired effects.
There are many multimedia companies who offer media services. Among them are Rainbow Media and Media Storm.
Why do you need media services?
Multimedia editing companies like Rainbow Media and Media Storm offer indispensable services that helps you maximize the benefits that mass media has to offer.
Your media presentation reflects you or the company and institution you are working for. Once released, a specific media tool will be made available and accessible to a great number of people. The way you present the information in mass media strategies will greatly reflect the way people see and treat you and the institution you are working with. In media presentations, appearance counts a lot. Always strive to make your media operations as smooth and flawless as possible. Some people may get to know you, your products, services or advocacies through these multimedia operations. First impressions are lasting impressions in the world of media. Your media operations could make or break your success. Hence, the services of these media editing firms will be truly useful.