Mandira Banerjea, Staff Writer
The role of ethical SEO practitioners is to improve the quality, quantity, clarity and value of readily accessed content in order to enable the search engines to select worthy sites on the basis of their proprietary relevancy indices. The appropriateness of ranking by search engines is determined by ethical SEO techniques which create relevant topic oriented sites that provide accurate information in a clear and easy-to-access mode. Such methodology precludes help of spam techniques which artificially inflates the perceived relevancy of poor quality sites. Pages that are informative and contribute to the content usability and facilitates “spidering” of the site by “crawlers” would be increasingly rewarded.
It is a well known fact that SEO practitioners use diverse technologies and methodologies. From ethics standpoint it is irrelevant whether one uses cloaking, doorway, hallway, site maps or shadow pages to optimize the site as long as the products are endorsing the code of ethics. Search engine acceptance depends on meeting such codes plus ethical SEO standards which should be unique and appropriate for each search engine. In general whenever the actions are in compliance with the code of ethics and are accepted by search engines, then these sites would be ranked by search engine algorithms. Nowadays, as every aspect evolves and keeps changing it is prudent to focus on “honest page” search engine optimization than wasting time and effort on sites that would soon be abandoned.
Certain guidelines offered by search engine ethical SEO Webmasters are:
- Keywords should be relevant, applicable and complement the page content.
- The keywords used in the text should be accepted by search engines inclusive of their placement and color, etc.
- Keyword “stuffing” should be avoided on any page.
- If re-direction feature is used, it should improve and enhance user experience. Re-direction technology, whenever used, must display a page where the body content contains appropriate keywords. It should not also alter the URL, affect the browser’s “back button” or display page information that is not the property of site owner.
- Frequent submission of web pages to search engines should be avoided. In general, modification or adding content is good as it improves user experience.
The four main page centric ethical SEO processes used by search engine optimization firms are:
- Revision or editing client site pages frequently.
- Man-made pages which is keyword intensive and presents authentic site pages.
- Machine-made pages where page content is derived from other site content based on keywords and compiled by software tools.
Regular and extensive on-going keyword research is no longer a luxury; it is a basic survival tactic. Understanding the manner in which people use words and their relationship in context of Internet search is a key to threading these words and phrases through the fabric of a client’s site. As Internet is a very dynamic tool and is growing into the major communication hub of the world, the use of accurate and useful keyword suggestion tools and their intelligent implementation into business and marketing strategy are the major part of the solution. The multi-various suggestion tools are available from free to cost based like Word Tracker, Keyword Discovery and many other such Google keyword tools.
Other quality ethical SEO guidelines suggested by the Webmaster covers not using hidden texts or hidden links, avoiding cloaking, not sending automated queries to search engines, not to load web pages with irrelevant keywords and refraining from creating multiple pages, sub domains or domains with duplicated content