Links can be found on all pages of a site and are called “site wide links”. They also come from the home page and inner pages of the site. The quality of links is more important than the quantity. Links can be obtained for free with outstanding content or in exchange for other links. Links can also be purchased. Reciprocal links or links on exchange are easier to acquire but are not valued by search engines. Quality link refers to trusted and aged websites that have a high page rank. It has been observed that when contemplating search engine optimization, quality links form the backbone of a website.
Back links are also called inbound links. This tool is important for SEO because search engines like Google attaches paramount importance and gives more credit to websites that have a good number of quality back links. They help to identify those websites as being more relevant contextually than others in the results page of a search query. When search engines calculate the relevance of a site on the basis of keywords, they generally evaluate the number of quality inbound links to that particular site. This implies that the website owners should not be satisfied with merely acquiring inbound links rather it is the relevancy of content of the inbound links that matters.
To evaluate the quality of a link the search engines primarily reviews the site content. In other words, the higher the relevancy of inbound links the greater is the quality of the text. Search engines want websites to have natural links. This accounts for back links to be ranked highly in search engines’ algorithms. Another reason for achieving quality links is to lure visitors to the website. Reciprocal links help in building a site’s image in search engines as it boosts the site’s ranking with the sheer volume of inbound links. However at times, reciprocal linking strategy or link exchange does not satisfy search engines as the Anchor Texts of back links may not have relevant content. Also care has to be observed when interlinking multiple websites on the same IP.
Some of the factors governing quality links are :
- It is necessary to review the website first and check all the links including inbound, outbound, broken and cross links of different web pages in a website.
- It is imperative to have a steady rate of submission.
- While proceeding towards link exchange, whether reciprocal or triangle, the approach should be towards quality links than the quantity of links.
- The website owner should maintain a log for monitoring and regular tracking of the outbound links. This strategy would eliminate spam and ineffective outbound links to one’s website.
- It is also necessary to involve oneself in writing several well composed articles on the theme of the website. This should be an on-going practice as it helps in promoting the development of quality links.
- Stressing on good content and banner exchange is a better optimization factor than reciprocal links.
- Blog writing and inserting important comments on the same theme based blog is recommended.
- Registering in several well known theme based forums and consulting them regarding business policies is believed to develop quality links.